Monday, March 19, 2012

A "Lauper" Can Never Change its Spots

Granted I'm not an avid Cyndi Lauper fan so I wouldn't really know if she's still "that good." Thankfully though, I have it on good authority (aka cyndinatic Karen) that SHE STILL IS. I mean, she was awesome. And I'm speaking as a non-fan here. If you're anything like me, I bet you never realized how many hit songs she's had. Right? Right.

my ticket, courtesy of my loving batchmate and good friend

Miss Lauper started the show with a rousing rendition of "She-Bop" and immediately everyone was on their feet.  Then, being the pro that she is, she climbs down the stage to sing and dance with us right away.  Shoving, flashes, a bit of disorder ensue.  She perseveres. But when the second song starts, she stops the band and scolds the crowd:  "I want to sing and dance with you guys but you gotta stop pulling me! And what's with those cameras in my face?!" Gotta lover her- she's her own crowd control machine. Did I say awesome already?!

mayhem

Fun Fact: Cyndi had a blues album (albums?).  She sang three or four blues-ey songs from those- not really familiar but enjoyed nonetheless. She's awesome.

"I can do this in my sleep"

she played a couple of instruments

Towards the end, as if she couldn't get any more awesome-r, she flawlessly performed famous songs from her discography: "Money Changes Everything," "Change of Heart," "Shine," "Time After Time," and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," to name a few.  The crowd, already supercharged and singing along, became even more enthusiastic (rowdy?) when she came down from the stage and went around greeting everyone. All this while singing "true to record" renditions of her hits. Forgive me, but AWE-SOME.

Time After Time

"Medyas ni Juana"
 
Finally, for an encore, she did "True Colors". Of course. Everyone sang along. Naturally. And then to everyone's surprise, she indulged us with an encore to the encore- a heartfelt rendition of "La Vie en Rose."Perfect. C'est la vie!

True Colors

All in all, Cyndi Lauper didn't get to fill the big dome, but the show felt successful.  After all, the girls (and guys) who wanted to have fun, DID. Consider me a true convert.

true performer

thanks Cyndi, you were brilliant!

3 comments:

  1. Hindi ako sinama.. I should've been there singing "time after time" with lola cyndzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD JOB BATCHMATE!!!!

    ReplyDelete